15 Things We Now Know About Stranger Things Series 2
The Debrief: October better hurry up...
What better news is there to start your Monday morning off than the fact that Stranger Things is coming back for another series?
After the first series ended so abruptly last year, we’ve been waiting ever since in hope for more information about the cast and the Upside Down - and we’ve finally got it.
We’ve already been told the series will return on Halloween, but producers The Duffer Brothers have released an official synopsis, which reads: 'A year after Will’s return, everything seems back to normal… but a darkness lurks just beneath the surface, threatening all of Hawkins.'
So what do we know?
1. Will has been rescued from the Upside Down and has rejoined the group again. Co-creator Matt Duffer told Entertainment Weekly that he might suffer from some kind of post-traumatic stress disorder, 'he starts to see things and the real question is whether they’re real or not.' Duffer said.
2. We all thought Papa might be dead - but this might not be the case. Actor Matthew Modine recently uploaded a weird Instagram post, so we’re thinking the monster might not have killed him after all.
3. The next season is supposed to be focused on the initial discovery of the Upside Down world. 'There are new characters, fun, and the Upside Down will be more of a place… you’ll spend more time.' said Kyle Dixon, one of the show’s composers. He promised there will also be ‘weird music’ to match.
4. We get to revisit some of the last series’ events more thoroughly. It will kick off with Eleven’s fight with the Demogorgon, and will also possibly uncover whether or not Will is carrying Demogorgon spawn.
5. Barb is still thought to be dead (sorry) We’ll see Nancy and Mike struggle as they come to terms with their losses, although who’s to say what they’ll find out?
6. BUT, Eleven is alive: ‘in some form’ - according to Hopper, who said the Eggo waffles he left in a box at the end of the first series were in fact for her.
7. The lab is still open as well as the Upside Down rift, but we don’t know what we’ll see appearing from it yet. We have been told that Dustin has a new pet though - it is ‘polliwog like’ and most definitely not from the same dimension.
8. Hopper is trying to keep everything under control: David Harbour who plays the character, said, “It kind of falls on Hopper to be the voice of authority to say, ‘This did happen and this didn’t happen.’ He’s struggling with the compromise that takes him to, having to lie and cover things up.”
9. There are new faces and new secrets to be uncovered: Series 2 will bring the arrival of Billy (Dacre Montgomery) and Max (Sadie Sink) who will be moving into town.
10. Joyce will be finding romance: The character played by Winona Ryder is set to find love in the form of Bob Newby (played by Sean Astin) who went to school with her.
11. We’ll be seeing work from a few different directors: The Duffer Brothers will keep episodes 1,2,8 and 9, with Andrew Stanton (of Finding Nemo and Finding Dory) taking two episodes, and Rebecca Thomas (Electrick Children) directing episode 7.
12. Hold up - there might be another THREE series to follow: 'Everything changes as we move forward so we’ll see,' said Ross Duffer. The creators have already said they’re up for another two or three series in the future, but Duffer said 'I want it to have a really finite ending. You wanna end when you’re on top.'
13. We know it will be amazing already, but the head of Netflix has also confirmed it: Co-founder Reed Hastings and Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos said they’ve already watched the first episode of series two, and said ‘it’s fantastic- it delivers on everything that every fan wants.' Reed also told NME 'We have a sense that it’s going to be really big. The reaction and momentum in Netflix is internally building.'
15. And, most importantly? We finally see some justice for Barb.
Liked this? You might also be interested in:
Follow Georgie on Twitter @GeorgieDarling
At work? With your gran?
You might want to think about the fact you're about to read something that wouldn't exactly get a PG rating