Easy Lunch Idea: Don't Spend All Your Money In Pret, Make This Instead.
The Debrief: Because it's nicer and it will last you all week
Yep, still January. Still a week til payday. One way to tide yourself over until then is to stop buying a depressing meal deal and bring your lunch in instead. We do it even when we’re not poor now because it’s just better, ok? This week it’s a make-ahead veggie chilli. Warming, nutritious and cheap as chips. No; cheaper. Also a five year old could make it, so no excuses.
400-500g mixed beans. We went for kidney beans, pinto beans and some sweetcorn.
½ tin of tomatoes
1 green chilli, chopped
1 clove of garlic, chopped
1 red onion, sliced
½ yellow pepper
Heaped tsp ground cumin
Lots of hot paprika
What to do:
1. Heat olive oil in a large pan and add the onions.
2. On a separate burner, place the halved and deseeded pepper directly over the naked flame. Don’t be worried – this will give it a lovely charred flavour. Don’t leave it on there though, be careful! After 40 seconds or so, turn it over and do the other side then take it off the heat to cool.
3. Now add the garlic, chilli, cumin and paprika to the pan. Leave to sizzle away for a few minutes then add the beans and tomatoes for a further 5-10 minutes.
4. Slice the cooled pepper and add to the pan. That’s it.
5. Season with salt, pepper and lime juice if you have any. Serve with perfect fluffy rice and a slice or two of avocado.
Like this? You may be interested in:
Follow Jo on Twitter @JoEatsLondon
At work? With your gran?
You might want to think about the fact you're about to read something that wouldn't exactly get a PG rating