5 Minute Meatball Meal To Make Tonight If You Can't Be Bothered To Cook
The Debrief: Microwave meals don't have to be unhealthy, unsatisfying trays of doom. This week: Meatballs in a herby tomato sauce...
We love a good meatball – who doesn’t? – and these homemade ones are embarrassingly simple. Plus, of course they are 100% microwave-friendly, making for a mega-quick, post-work supper that you don’t need to feel bad about.
We’ve paired them with a basic homemade tomato sauce (again, zero time) and some of that snazzy new cauliflower rice, but if you’re made of stronger, carb-loving stuff then you can always swap for ready-to-heat rice.
All in, this one takes 5 minutes and you can’t argue with that for a nutritious and delicious dinner, can you?
Meatballs In A Herby Sauce
You will need:
100g extra lean beef or pork mince
1 medium egg
½ onion, diced finely
1 cup of stock (I used ½ veg stock cube)
Handful fresh chopped herbs (almost anything goes)
Heaped tbsp tomato paste
½ pack CauliRice
1. Mix the mince, egg and onion together in a bowl. Form into balls and transfer into a microwaveable bowl, cover and heat on full for 2 ½ minutes.
2. While that’s cooking, boil the kettle and make the stock if using a cube, then mix with the herbs and tomato paste. Set aside.
3. The meatballs are cooked once there’s no pink meat. They will be a rather unattractive shade of greige as they’ve not been browned in a pan like usual, but bear with it. Add the CauliRice/normal rice and pour the tomato sauce over it all.
4. Re-cover and microwave for a further 2 ½ minutes.
5. Season and serve with grated cheese.
Like this? Then you might also be interested in:
Follow Jo on Twitter @JoEatsLondon
At work? With your gran?
You might want to think about the fact you're about to read something that wouldn't exactly get a PG rating